Friday, February 28, 2014

Tela Q & A Session


Tela is a one of my favorite rappers to come out of the South. He was on the Suave House label, which was one of the more popular labels back in the 90s. The label was also home to 8ball & MJG, Mr. Mike and Thorough BKA South Circle, and Crime Boss.

The first time I heard Tela was on the song All in My Mind from 8ball & MJG's album On Top of the World. Soon after, he would release his debut album on the label titled Piece of Mind. That album was a great debut which contained the hit song Sho Nuff featuring 8ball & MJG.

Tela would not release another album on the label, but he did turn up on another powerhouse label from the South. In 1998, he would release his debut album for the Rap-A-Lot label. This was another great album that had hits such as B.I.G.P.I.M.P.S.I.S.I. with Too Short, Why U, Still a Man, and Table Dance. One of my favorite skits of all time is Red Neck Pimp which can be found on this album. 

He would go on to put out two more great albums on Rap-A-Lot: The World Aint Enuff in 2000 and Double Dose in 2002.

With the help of Tasha Roberts @TRobertsRedOak I was able to get in touch with Tela. Below is a short Q & A with Tela. This was conducted 11/2013.

DPG = ME
TJ = Tela James

Enjoy!

DPG: Some of my favorite songs that you've recorded are Strange, Sho Nuff, Table Dance, The World Ain’t Enough, and Incredible. You’re also on one of the best tracks that I can remember. That track would be F**k Faces with Scarface, Devin, and Too Short.

TJ: Thanks man, appreciate  the luv.  One of my favorite Classics as well.  Great love and respect for Scarface.  He made Houston.  

DPG: As a fan, I've always wanted to find out if you ever put out an album titled Made in the USA? Did this project get scrapped or was it never even a reality?

TJ: This project did exist, but was never finished.  It never went to retail.
DPG: You did put out a digital album called Gator & Suits in 2010. Did you have any promotion for the album? I only found out about it last year. 

TJ: Yes it was digital only, and is available on iTunes.

DPG: Which song do you consider to be your favorite? How about a favorite collaboration?

TJ: Right now, “Been Ballin” of course, since it’s my newest release. And because it’s a glimpse of the evolutionary and revolutionary TELA.  I’m New School and Old School. I won’t and can’t be boxed in.  I can write or rap to any music.  Music is my life. I live and breathe it, it never stops for me. I need it like air.  After "Been Ballin" I’d say I've got some new drops that I want to get fan reaction to, but of course I’d have to say “Sho Nuff."

DPG: Who are some artists that you'd like to collaborate with as you move forward with your new music?

TJ: I live music, I'd collaborate with 8ball & MJG again of course, Bun B, Scarface, New Bloods, LL Cool J, T.I., Lil' Wayne, Usher, and Pharrell.  The talent pool is unlimited and when you really do this, you do this. 

DPG: In my opinion, your albums got better with each release. Do you feel that you grew as an artist with each album that you put out?

TJ: As an artist, I try to get better. You know, it's difficult keeping the balance pleasing the fans and growing and evolving as an artist.

DPG: You were able to get UGK on the Sho Nuff remix. Why did you choose them?

TJ: I made my first rap money in Houston so it had a special place as my second home.  I met Pimp C at one of Floyd’s Mayweather’s after-parties in Vegas at the Luxor.  We were cool instantly.   I wanted to do a project with him but we didn't get to it before he passed. When he got locked up we still stayed in touch. Even with what he was going through, he helped me through some times with some personal things through conversations that were needed as friend. He understood and gave words of wisdom. He spoke to me from a real place. The best times when we were just kicking it, I miss him.

TJ: I’ve had the good fortune to work with some major talents.  Cats who've made it in the game and sustained longevity.  Some here, some gone, just lucky we all had the chance to get together and make good music.  Music the fans wanted to hear and see performed, there’s nothing like it.

DPG: I think you’re a really talented artist and I always hoped that you’d put out some more music. You’ve recently been promoting yourself more on social media. Are you looking to make an impact back in the music industry?

TJ: Yes, it's not a comeback because I never stopped making music, it's a return to the game.  I took a break to handle family, life, and study the industry more in depth.  Learned a lot.  I mean everybody knows the game has evolved tremendously.  It’s instantaneous, you know. It’s really different than when I started, with the internet and all, but I know I have to keep up.  It’s also a different format, but I appreciate and embrace change.

TJ: So, I Tweet every now and then.  I’m on Twitter & Instagram the most, and YouTube.  My team makes sure we stay current on all of the social media channels.  Shout out to Red Oak Entertainment and TeamTELA.  My Managers Courtney Scott and Trent Merideth, My Marketing, PR, and Cyber Diva Tasha Roberts.

TJ: You still need a combination of both to keep your fans.  I can send my music out all over the internet, via email, etc. but seeing me perform it live, feeling where I’m coming from, my message, and my flow can’t compare.  Buy it (the music), love it, come see me take you there with me.  The story, the journey, the delivery is what makes it memorable for us both.

DPG: Do you have anything you’d like to promote or say?

TJ: Support our new single, "Been Ballin'" it's the new and evolutionary TELA, and cop Graceland when it drops. S/O to my team @RedOakEnt for making sure we give our Fans the new and old versions of what they've asked for.  We listen, and still #Salute and give the Classics, but I also know how to stay relevant and fresh.  Independents, never give up or let anybody destroy your dreams.

Follow Tela on Twitter @TelaOfficial 
Check out his website telajames for updates.
He can also be found on Facebook @TelaJames5
Look for Tela on Instagram, YouTube, Reverbnation, Soundcloud, and Google+

Please leave comments on my blog or on Twitter @dpgmarine
Check out my other blog posts and subscribe if you'd like.

More Q & A sessions to come!
Thanks for reading!

dpgmarine





No comments:

Post a Comment