Friday, March 21, 2014

Kredulous Q & A Session


Kredulous is an artists out of Kansas City, Missouri. I first heard him on a track he recorded with Tech N9ne and Krizz Kaliko titled Wild. That song was featured on his 2007 release Tears of an Angel. Once you hear Kredulous on a track, you'll soon discover that his voice is very distinct.

I was able to connect with Kredulous and ask him a few questions about his music over the years as well as his future plans in the coming year. He was very detailed and shared a lot of his personal feelings and experiences.

This was conducted in 12/2013

DPG = ME
KR = Kredulous

Enjoy!

DP: I want to start off by saying when I first heard your music, I thought you sounded a lot like DMX. Is that someone that people compare you to?

KR: Yeah, People said that. Now you hear it all over the place.  Every Rapper out there seems to have the raspy flow.  It's funny, taking a step away from music people forget what you have done.  When I first started they would say "Your voice is unique" Now I hear young kids tell me I'm biting style, I have been doing this for 12 years and released eight studio albums.  If there is one thing I have learned is that I HATE COMPARISONS.  Each record I have done is written uniquely and arranged personally.  That's what I want to stand out in my music. 
DP: When did you first start rapping?

KR: I first started rapping in 1999.  I was in High School and a very quiet kid.  I would write a lot. stories, raps, dialogues, ect...It was my way of having my voice heard with out the confidence to speak up.  I would go home and plug my Radio Shack microphone into my 4 Track Recorder and rap over Dr. Dre's Chronic II Beats-Remember when he released just the instrumentals to buy? Yeah, I bought it.  I would listen to that CD all the time. 
DP: When did you realize that making music was something that you wanted to pursue as a career?

KR: Music definitely helped my confidence grow.  I started rapping at parties and  I was good at it. It wasn't your typical party music, it would be some real sinister shit, like "Somebody tell me why my misery is after me, and why my ears are itching to the devils laughter" but people felt it.  So I went out and made money, bought studio time and Recorded my first album "FURIOUS." I was hooked!
DP: I believe you mentioned that your father passed when you were around 18? How did that affect you?

KR: My father passed away when I was 16.  He suffered through brain tumors and dementia.  It started when I was 12, he kinda lost his mind and turned into a 6 year old.  With my mom having to work to keep our house, it was my responsibility to look after him when I wasn't in school.  It's hard seeing your heroes go down in an instant.  He was mine.  I didn't know how to handle that responsibility.  I started cutting class, hanging with crowds a lot older than me, I got into a lot of trouble.  Like I said, I was 16 when he died.  I didn't know what to do.  My new role models were a lot older than me and didn't always have the best intentions. I guess that's why I didn't have a lot of confidence in school.  I didn't feel like i fit in any more.  It kinda kicked this music thing into the next gear.  I take a lot of that with me in my writing. 
DP: I think tragedy brings out deep feelings and helps artists such as yourself create better music. Do you believe that drove you to create better music?

KR: Absolutely I do.  I think all music is derived from what we go through.  I wish there was more storytelling in rap these days.  I can't stand rap music in this decade. 
DP: Growing up in the Midwest, who were artists that you looked up to?

KR: My music roots are very twisted but grow.  Quite the sight to see.  You don't find much Hip Hop in my car. My parents were big blues fans and fans of Rock n Roll.  So I listened and still do to a lot of Bobby Blue Bland, Jim Croce, Lindsey Buckingham, Sam Cooke, The Drifters. A lot of music is inspired by these artists.  I got into Rap music when I heard Dr. Dre The Chronic in 1992.  It wasn't like any rap music out at that time.  From there we go to Digital Underground and 2 Pac.  I remember the first time I heard 2Pac on "Same Song" and stopped.  What a storyteller.  It doesn't matter if its a club song, or a ballad, he was going to send a message.  That's what turned me on to rap music.   
DP: What is your favorite rap album of all time and why?

KR: My favorite Rap Album is either The Chronic (92) or "All Eyes on Me" and I think its because of what they take me back to.  There are a lot of classic Rap albums out there....Notorious B.I.G's Ready to Die and Life After Death, Tech N9ne's Anghellic and Absolute Power, Illmatic, WU Tang's 36 Chamber...ect...
DP: I am a big Tech N9ne fan ever since I heard him on the Gang Related soundtrack with the song Questions back in 1997. It's because of him that I've been able to find out about a whole lot of talented KC artists including yourself.

DP: On your album Tears of an Angel, you had both Krizz Kaliko and Tech N9ne on the song Wild. Did you actually get them in the studio or did they just send you their stuff?

KR: Yeah, we recorded it together.  I have known Tech for a while.  I've always been a fan of his because he was always doing something different.  Even back in the 90's.  When he did
"The Calm Before The Storm" this city went nuts. Well, the ones that liked his different approach to music went nuts.  That was an album on some different shit.  As you can see, it takes society a while to come around to whats different. 

KR: We have recorded at the same studio for years.  He would be recording his stuff right down the hall some nights.  When I started "Tears of Angel" I first approached Krizz Kaliko to do a hook for "Wild."  He did it, and it turned out beautiful. It was one of the first features we got for the album.  Tech was there at the time and was laughing and saying "I have to be on this!!!!"  I didn't want to overstep as an artist.  As we got to the end of the album, I still had an open verse on it, so I called Travis, and Him and Tech came to the studio the night before they left for the KILLER tour.  Tech wrote it right there and dropped it.  It was something to see.  We will be dropping a lot of that footage soon.
DP: What was it like working with them?

KR: Krizz Kaliko is a true talent.  He is probably my favorite artist in hop hop right now.  He is so versatile in what he does.  When we gave him the idea for "WILD" I was telling him it over the phone, he started singing it, and performing it right then on the phone.  When we got to the studio, he had three different versions done for it.  He went out in the hall, and worked up what you hear now on "WILD."   

KR: Tech is an anomaly.  A True Professional.  When he came in to do his verse, we sat down for a bit, he listened, grabbed a pen and pad and told me "I will be right back!" He would check in every ten minutes or so and say "Kred, come out here, listen to what I got!" He did an amazing job on it, and I am very blessed to say that I have worked with two of the very best in music right now.  
DP: The Tears of an Angel album came out in 2007. Did you take a break from making music after that album? What were you up to?

KR: I did.  That was my biggest album so far.  It took off like a jet.  We were seeing things we had never seen, going places we had never been and I wasn't ready for it.  Music is a tough business.  You pour your heart and soul into it hoping one day to break through, and when you do, you damn sure better be ready no matter what.  The problem is, we never know when that's going to happen. 

KR: When Tears of Angel was wrapping up and about to release I was ending a big relationship in my life, I had been absent from home for quite some time, and was using a lot of things to help cope with the pain.  In return, when that album took off, I wasn't ready.  I feel I let a lot of people who put a lot of hard work in on that album down.  It was definitely a blessing though.  I was able to buy a house, afford a college education, and get my life back together.  I have been promising D.R.E.A.M.S. and World With Out Pity for some time and the time is finally here.  Along with those two EP's I will be releasing an LP entitled "Under Still Waters." They are ready to go!
DP: Which is your favorite album to date and why?

KR: My favorite album to date is "Baptized By Fire." I did that album in 2003 and put a lot of stuff that I had been bottling up for years on it.  It was a huge weight to be lifted, and even when I listen to it now, I feel that weight lift again.  That's what is so powerful about music!

DP: Do you have a favorite collaboration?

KR: Tech N9ne was my biggest collab at the time.  I love what he did and I respect his music so much.  Personally, my favorite collaboration I ever did was with my man Dubbz.  He is an artist out of the Northwest and has a very quick flow.  We recorded a song called "Never Smile" in 2003.  I think it means the most to me because we both let out a lot of  pain that we were going through at the time. Shared therapy!
DP: Is there any artist past or present that you'd like to work with? How about a producer?

KR: I don't know. I really respect Hopsin and SwizZz.  I was blessed to have them collaborate with me on a track called R.A.P. which will be featured on D.R.E.A.M.S. which will be dropping soon.  Like I said, I'm really not impressed in the direction hip hop has been going lately.  I do like Stevie Stone, Joell Ortiz, Royce Da 5'9 and Kutt Calhoun.  We will see what's in store.

KR: Production wise, my dude Lloyd Daniel (D.arc) still makes some of the most moving pieces of music for me.  He did "Tears of an Angel, Smile, Come Back Around, and Raining.  He is a talent.  He has a couple of new ones we did.  I worked with IcyRoc Kraven a few projects ago, and was lucky enough to work with him again.  That guy is incredible. 
KR: Honestly though, Music should be about the music.  I have sat down with a few producers lately, and they just want to brag about where they are rated, who they work with, how they want to change this for you, who you shouldn't use, and before you even pick out your products-they are in your pockets. Show me some music man.  If i like it, I'll buy it and lets do something with it.  If you make good music, hit me up, lets make some together and leave the bullshit outside. 
DP: You mentioned that you were working on a new album titled Under Still Waters. How is that project coming along? Any features you'd like to mention? Do you have an anticipated release date?

KR: I am very happy to say that it is officially in the works.  I did features here and there while on hiatus, but this is the first time I had been back in the studio to do me.  It feels great!!!!  During my time off, the writing never stops. 2014 is going to be a big year!  I promise that! 
As far as features go, I have a few.  Basia Bulat is an amazing folk singer, just google her, she does the Isuzo commercials you see on TV.  Mac Lethal is on this one, and a very big artist that I would like to keep quiet about right now haha.  Let me say, this album is not going to be what you expect.  It's very different, and I have a lot of different artists outside of rap on this one.  Trust me, I love it, and it will make you feel. 
DP: Is there anything else you'd like to say or promote?

KR: Listen to good music. Something with substance.  Something that makes you think.  Something that makes you question.  Something that may actually teach you things besides a dance.  There is a lot of it out there.  Sometimes I think it gets covered up by the shit that is on the radio.  Start digging, you will be surprised what you find.  


I want to say thanks for taking the time to speak with me. It was a pleasure and I look forward to all your new music coming out in 2014.

Follow Kredulous on Twitter @Kredulous 
Look for his albums in 2014 titled Under Still Waters, D.R.E.A.M.S., and World Without Pity!

Please leave comments on my blog or on Twitter @dpgmarine
Check out my other blog posts and subscribe if you'd like.

More Q & A sessions to come!
Thanks for reading!

dpgmarine


3 comments: