Wednesday, October 29, 2014

JL of B Hood Q & A


While listening to @TechN9ne Gates Mixed Plate album, I was put onto the sounds of JL from B. Hood. He definitely held his own along the Kansas City King. Ever since then, I've been snatching up any and all music from JL.

I contacted the rapid fire MC and requested his participation. He was more than the willing to share his thoughts with me.

This was conducted 9/2014

DPG = ME
JL = JL

Enjoy!

DP: Where exactly are you from?

JL: Kansas City, Missouri

DP: Who was the first rap artist that you ever listened to?

JL: I think it was a Geto Boys tape that had My Mind is Playing Tricks on Me on it.

DP: What types of music did you listen to growing up?

JL: All types really, from soul to country to rock & r&b. I had a lot coming into my ears.

DP: Who were the rap artists that you enjoyed listening to growing up?

JL: I listened to a lot of Bone Thugs & Harmony, Twista, Common, Talib Kwali, Tech N9ne, Eminem, and DMX. A long list and I always stayed with music.

DP: When did you first discover that you were good at writing rhymes?

JL: I wrote my first one at 9. I got pretty decent at it about 15.

DP" Do you remember the first song you ever recorded?

JL: I actually don't. LOL!

DP: How long have you been actively recording your music?

JL: I'd say a little over 10 years prolly.

DP: I was first put on to your music on Tech N9ne’s Gates Mix Plate album. You were featured on the song Far Out along with P.R.E.A.C.H. and Stevie Stone.

DP: Can you tell me how that collaboration came about?

JL: I've known Tech for awhile now. He used to invite me to the studio just to chill and shit. I'd watch him record and get sneak peaks at all the shit. Whenever I got a  chance let him hear my music he'd listen and hear the potential. He heard the progression and one day he gave me that opportunity to do something. That was on the track Far Out.

DP: Were you guys actually in the studio together while recording that track?

JL: I actually took the beat home wrote and came back the next day. I recorded it before he got to the studio. It was the first thing on the song.

DP: Your first official album release Brain Scatter was really good. How did you come up with that title?

JL: I get asked that a lot. It came about mainly because of me being scattered brained & my style sounding like it sometimes. LOL.  I thought it sounded good & made sense at the time.

DP: The opening track Sporadic Brain Matter is the perfect track to introduce the audience to your talents. Did you specifically pick that track to open up the album?

JL: Yep.

DP: Another banger amongst many on the album is the second track Say You Love Me featuring Tech N9ne. Why did you pick him to be on that track versus any others on your album?

JL: I wrote that one and knew it was the one. The subject matter was right up his alley and the tempo was right. The hook was tight and my verses were on point. I recorded it and let him hear it and he loved it as much as I'd hope.

DP: This leads me to another question. How do you decide which artist you’re going to feature on a track or album?

JL: I always have a bunch of people I wanna work with, I don't try to force features in just to make sure that they get on something though. I have to hear them on it. Sometimes I pick certain beats that I would like to have certain people on and don't end up using it.

DP: Do you know how well that album did?
JL: I did okay, It's up for free everywhere too but people do support.

DP: Did you have any number in mind in terms of sales that you were trying to hit with this album?

JL: No, not at all. This was my first solo album I just wanted people to hear it.

DP: This album heavily features Subliminal BeatsHow did you and Alec meet?

JL: I met him through a homie of mine back in the day. He had a SmartAlec beat cd and the crew B.Hood hoped on one and we built a relationship from there.

DP: Why did you choose him to produce this album versus anybody else?

JL: Chemistry is hard to find.

DP: I know you’re part of the group B. Hood along with VI and Zoo (RIP). This music was before I became a fan. How did you guys form this group? Did you guys grow up together?

JL: We pretty much grew up together Vi is my biological brother Zoo might as well have been. We were called Thre3Nails before B.Hood which stands for Brotherhood.

DP: I briefly want to talk about your Just Landed mixtape. You had freestyle of the 6 ft 7 ft beat. Man did you go off on that track. Do you feel your version is better than the original?

JL: LOL. I don't know bro. Many people said that, but I don't know.

DP: I think that track perfectly illustrates how smoothly you can chop your flow. You’re one of the few artists I know that makes rapping fast seem effortless.
DP: Have you always had that ability? Did you have to work on your craft?

JL: I could always rap other peoples raps. It took some time to be able to write my own and that speed.

DP: Not too long after Brain Scatter, you released the Adderall EP. Are you happy with how that album turned out?

JL: Yeah, it is a group of songs from that time period. It was supposed to be just an EP, but I ended up putting 11 songs on it. There are some really good overlooked tracks on that one I think. It's a good part of my catalog to have.

DP: your favorite track on the EP?

DP: You’ve recently released BrainScatter 2. I’ve really enjoyed this new album. What’s your favorite track off this one?

JL: I think Money Talks maybe Get It Out  I love performing those. 

DP: You had Ces Cru, Joey Cool, and Info Gates on the DIBKIS remixWhy did you choose them? Also, did you intend to have others on this track that didn’t make it?

JL: It was a no-brainer for me. They are the definition of DIBKIS. I wanted to have Wreck & Bernz of Mayday on it but they couldn't get to it in time.

DP: Do you have any expectations in terms of sales for this album?

JL: Nope. Once again, I just gave it to the people.

DP: You’ve also been featured on some great tracks with other artists. You’re on Nesto’s Career Killer, Joey Cool’s Onslaught, Ces Cru’s Constant Energy Struggles,  Illest Uminati’s Higgs Boson, and Tech N9ne’s E.B.A.H. to name a few.

DP: Do you feel like you have to step your game up even more when you’re featured on someone else’s album?

JL: I just do me every time.

DP: Are you ever afraid that you’re going to outshine the artist asking for a feature from you?

JL: Not at all. I work with some great people that on any given day could go harder than me on a track.

DP: I’ve been seeing on Twitter that you and Koshir are planning a collabo album. Can you share any information about that project?

JL: Yep, the project will be called SMASH and it's going to be dope. We got Kutt Calhoun on it, Whitney Peyton, & C Ray. Working on some other collabo projects in the near future as well.

DP: Are there any other artists/producers past or present that you’d like to work with?

JL: Snow the Product & I hopefully soon, Wanna get that one in with Mayday, would love to work with Big Krit and Kendrick of course.

DP: Is there anything else you’d like to say or promote?

DP: I’d like to really thank you for taking the time to speak with me. I’m a real big fan of your music and will continue to support everything you put out!

JL: Much love fam. DIBKIS

Follow JL on Twitter @jlbhood
You can pick up all his dope albums on his website: http://jlbrainscatter.bandcamp.com/

Please leave comments on my blog or on Twitter @dpgmarine
Check out my other blog posts and subscribe if you'd like.

More Q & A sessions to come!

Thanks for reading!

dpgmarine


1 comment:

  1. I've never even read a blog before, thanks for doing this little interview... Love JL and the whole Strange Music label.

    ReplyDelete