Thursday, July 9, 2015

Hurricane Q & A


A while back, I found this track titled YouTube Choppers. On it, several artists were featured. However, the one that really caught my ear was Hurricane! He came into the track and just killed it. Since then, I've tried to locate any and all songs that he is a part of. I was able to find quite a bit of music from the KC MC.

I recently reached out to him and he was more than willing to oblige my request.

This was conducted 7/2015

DPG = ME
HC = Hurricane

Enjoy!

DPG: Where exactly are you from?

HC: I'm from the Midwest, Kansas City. Home of Tech N9ne, Janelle Monae, D-Loc, Dalima, and a gang of actors ( Don Cheadle, Columbus Short, just to name a few)

DPG: What type of music did you grow up listening to?

HC: I grew up listening to Jay-Z, Twista, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Brother Lynch hung. Through my parents, I would listen to DeBarge, Switch, Rick James, Michael Jackson, and Sade.

DPG: Who are some of your favorite rap artists?

HC: My favorite rap artists? I have to go with Tech N9ne, Jay-Z, Eminem, and I would say J.Cole. You never get a bad line or bar from these guys.

DPG: Do you remember when you wrote your first rhyme?

HC: I wrote my first rhyme at about 15 years old. In a Pizza Hut of all places. LOL. I was working there.

DPG; What was the first song you ever recorded?

HC: It was a song called Lyrical Murderer. I hate to listen to it now because it's so amateur, but if I had never written it I would've wasted the talent that I have.

DPG: How would you describe your style of music?

HC: My style of music is a bit on the Darkside. Not Star Wars Darkside, but darker side of the thought process. I won't rap about selling drugs or anything like that because that's not what I do, I have before but that's not the story I need to tell.

DPG: How did you get the name Hurricane?

HC: My older cousin gave me that name because he said I sounded like Twista, but faster. Plus I can hold my breath for just about 16 bars and still spit a fast verse.

DPG: I believe the first time I heard you flow was on the song YouTube Choppers. You came on the track and just didn’t stop. It made me want to hear more of your music.

DPG: What can you tell me about that track?

HC: I was approached by two gentlemen that I was in a group with at the time with the idea of getting on this track. I figured with all the success of the chopper tracks from Tech that I should give it a go. The track came out pretty dope! There was a lot of talent on there.

DPG: You put out the solo album S.a.D Laughter back in 2013. How did you come up with that album title?

HC: Well the sad part of sad laughter means "Sick and Deranged" S.a.D. Laughter. It's basically about an inter-voice that I have that laughs at me when I try to make decisions on my own.

DPG: Do you have a favorite track on the album?

HC: My favorite track from that album would have to be "Catch Fire" The beat was on point and the features were on point, Loose Logic and S.H.A.D.O.W. delivered and then some!

DPG: I’m curious as to why the album on had 12 tracks. Is there a reason for that?

HC: I've always thought when you put a project together,  you pick the best body of work no matter how many songs it is and you go with it! In this case 12 was the lucky number.

DPG: Did you have any type of concept for this album?

HC: The concept of this album was going from darkness to light. That's why the album finishes with his song for my son versus one of the darker tracks at the end.

DPG: Do you put any thought into the order of the tracks?

HC: Yes, I put a lot of thought into the order of the tracks, I also had assistance from one of my fellow artists Maniphest Destne of Choppa Clique.

DPG: You had Twisted Insane on the track Ready for the Murder. How did that collaboration come about?

HC: The track with Twisted Insane came about because he had me on one of his tracks, BrainSick 1.0

DPG: What can you tell me about the last track Your Avenger (Julian’s Song)?

HC: The last track is simply made because my son wanted me to make a song for him. He is a very big fan of the Avengers and he thinks that I'm the Incredible Hulk. LOL. Also in the Ironman verse I actually used one of his talking toys to say "I am Ironman" he loved it and still sings along to it when I play it.

DPG: I believe that you had Sprite Beatz produce some if not all the tracks for the album. Why did you choose him? Did you work with any other producers for this album?

HC: I chose Sprite Beatz because he has a very dark and ominous tone to his music. That's what I was actually going for. I did use two other producers as well, Charlie Hustle who made "catch fire" and "Army of one" and Aviated Tonez (I gave him that name by the way) who made "Welcome to the carnival."

DPG: You’re part of the group Choppa Clique. How long have you been part of the group?

HC: We started Choppa Clique back in 2011 I believe. D-SPillz and Maniphest Destne approached me to be a part of it.

DPG: Can you tell me about the other members of the group?

HC: These guys are pretty dope, we've done a lot of work together. SPillz is from IL, and Mani is from OH. I can honestly say these are two of the hardest working people I've seen since I've been involved in this rap business.

DPG: I recently discovered the song you guys did Thuggish Ruggish remake. What inspired you guys to do a cover for that song?

HC: We have all been influenced by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony. We all took a road trip up to Cleveland Ohio together and stood at the corner of 99th and St. Clair! It was monumental for us because we are all from the Midwest. It was like our Graceland. The video that we shot for that song was actually shot here in Kansas City, The track originally had five people on it but one guy couldn't make it so we cut it down to four. The fourth person being BoneZ (also a member of CC)

DPG: Is there a reason Emce Damage’s verse was cut from the video shoot?

HC: Yeah Emce Damage was cut because he couldn't make it, no hard feelings attached to that.

DPG: I’ve been looking for other songs that you’re featured on and I found quite a bit. You’re on the song Angels and Demons by Kamikazi. How did you link up with him?

HC: I actually did a show with Kamikazi in Minnesota (his home state) and we clicked from that point. We had already had a couple tracks done together through other artists trying to get us on one song. That's the homie for real, him and his fiancé.

DPG: I found another track by Jay Crazii titled Killer Instincts ft a bunch of Brainsick artists. Are you a fan of their music?

HC: Yes the song with Jay Crazii, Killer Instincts! Of course I'm a very big fan of BrainSick music. I've worked with almost the whole roster now.

DPG: You’re also on this song Pulse by YoungDro Productions along with K-Fix, Kaos, and Crucified. When you record a verse for a song like that, do you know the other artists that you will be featured with?

HC: Pulse! That's a very dope track, shout to the homie YungDro for putting that together. I was aware that the other artists would be on the track but you never get to hear their verses. They all killed the track! Those guys make good music.

DPG: If you are aware of certain artists on a track, does that make you really want to bring your A game to the table?

HC: I never care who's on the track because I'm always in competition with myself and never another artist. My A game is a must on everything I do. Sometimes I'll go for better style over better lyrics or sometimes I'll go for both.

DPG: Have you ever turned down a collabo because the track was wack, the artist sucked, or for any other reason?

HC: Yes, there has been a lot of times I had to turn down feature offers. If someone comes to me and I can tell or I have the feeling that the heart is not in it and they're just making music just to make it I will turn it down, I don't really care about your skill set because that something that every artist has to work on themselves. I care if your heart is in it and if you are humble.

DPG: When someone asks for a collaboration from you, are you ever worried that you will outshine them on their own track?

HC: Again I never worry about outshining another artist, I'm only trying to outshine myself from the last verse I wrote.

DPG: Obviously, you can rap really fast. How did you groom your style to be able to do it so quickly?

HC: It's taken years to be as clear as I am when I rap fast. I put a lot of work into being very intricate with my lyrics. Because if anybody could do it everybody would do it.

DPG: When you chop really fast, does it take you a lot of times to record your verse?

HC: I actually got it down to a science now to where I don't have to do so many takes, just smoke a black and mild to clear my throat and lungs and drink water and I go!

DPG: There are a lot of artists out there really trying to chop their lyrics because it’s really popular? What’s your opinion on clarity, speed, and quality of lyrics?

HC: Clarity and speed is something that has to be mastered. Lyrics are something that take time to process. It's very important if you're going to chop to make sure that you are on beat and your pronunciation is very accurate. I hate when people mimic the style. I've never rapped in any other style then chopping.

DPG: In the past you had to record in the same studio with the artists and maybe it helped out the chemistry of a song. Do you feel that music suffers because of technology that’s available these days? Or do you see it as a positive?

HC: I do miss the times when you could go to a studio and vibe with another artist, but sometimes that has a downfall. You can have a lot of people sounding the same, I like the technology now because I can do songs with artists from Italy or Germany and not have to fly there to accomplish that.

DPG: What would you say is that hardest beat past or present that you’d like to flow over? Personally, I’d like to hear you record three verses over Twista’s Adrenaline Rush.

HC: It's so hard to say because each beat is a challenge. You always have to find the rhythm of the beat and learn how to write that. As far as Adrenaline Rush goes, I have recorded a verse over that before with the homie Playboy the Beast. The track is dope! It's also on YouTube. "Adrenaline Rush"

DPG: I’d like to play a game of word association with you. I’ll say the name of an artist or name something and you tell me the first thing that comes to your mind.

HC:

Tech N9ne: Big bro
Strange Music: Power house
Krizz Kaliko: Very talented
Twista: Icon
Bone Thugs & Harmony: Trendsetters
Spice-1: OG status
ScarFace: Legendary
Rap Music: In a bad place at the moment
Twisted Insane: Hard work!
BrainSick Music: Arguably, the best underground roster
JL of B.Hood: Next big artist from KC
Crucified: My brother on so many levels
DPG: Do you own your own studio? Where do you record your music?

HC: I do have my own personal studio in my house that I do all my recording in and then I send the vocals off to get mixed and mastered elsewhere.

DPG: Are you satisfied with your music career so far?
HC: So far I am pretty satisfied with my music career, I've done a lot of things that a lot of other underground artists have not been able to accomplish. My name is in a list of some pretty elite people now.

DPG: Do you hope to sign with a major label or would you rather stay independent?
HC: I do hope to sign to a major label because the independent business is lucrative, but very hard at the same time. Strange is the goal! I'm with Murder Musick right now and I'm very happy with the Quality of artists that we have.

DPG: Where do you see yourself in the industry in 5 years?
HC: I see myself a few more albums in and helping others move forward with their careers.

DPG: Is there any artist past/present that you’d like to work with?

HC: I would love to do a track with the Bizzy Bone. I would love to do a track with Drake and Kanye. I'm not a very big fan of mainstream artists lately, but these guys can make a song. Not just rap, but make a song.

DPG: Are there any producers past/present that you’d like to work with?

HC: I just work with the legendary Phonk Beta (Brotha Lynch Hung's producer). I would love to rap over a track composed by Eminem, his beats have a force to them and passion.

DPG: : Do you hold down a regular job in order to supplement your income?

HC: I was working as a store manager of an auto parts store. It can be very stressful at times so I let that job go. Now I'm currently not working. I'm just spending my time recording and selling verses. I will work on a car here and there, but as far as a 9-5. No, not right now.

DPG: How can people get in touch with you regarding music?

HC: If people are trying to get at me for a verse I have a couple avenues they can reach me at: Hurricanemusic913@gmail.com or Facebook.com/therealhurricane ( just drop me a message and I will reply)

If you're looking to buy music Bandcamp.com has my solo album (S.a.D. Laughter) and a couple of the Choppa Clique albums as well

DPG: Is there anything else you’d like to say or promote?

HC: I am currently working on an EP that will drop near Halloween, it's titled "Conflict" I'm working with the same producer that JL of B.hood has used for his albums, Smart Alec of Subliminal entertainment. Also in the beginning of 2016 there will be another Choppa Clique album entitled the Second Amendment.

DPG: I’d like to say thank you for your time. I look forward to your new music.

Follow Hurricane on Facebook: facebook.com/therealhurricane
Be on the lookout for his new EP this year titled Conflict!

Please leave comments on my blog or on Twitter @dpgmarine
Check out my other blog posts and subscribe if you'd like.

More Q & A sessions to come!

Thanks for reading!

dpgmarine

2 comments:

  1. Find the music you love, discover tracks, connect to artists and do a lot more all the music buffs only on soundcloud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does little or minimum breaking down of words in rap lyrics affect the rhythm/beat of a song and contributes to its monotony.

    ReplyDelete