Tuesday, October 14, 2014

DMG Q & A



Back in 1993, I was introduced to the artist named DMG. First it was on Scarface's The World is Yours album on the track You Don't Hear Me Doe. Also, he was featured on the Rap-A-Lot posse track Bring it On. I remember hearing the song on Scarface's album and thinking he was very raw on the mic. As a matter of fact, he sounded very much like Mr. Scarface. I think that could be seen as a compliment.

It's been a while since he has put out any music. However, I reached out to him and he was very willing and gracious to speak with me. I was able to connect with him and ask him my questions.

This was conducted over the phone 5/2014

DPG = Me
DMG = DMG

Enjoy!

DPG: Where did you find the inspiration to create your music?

DMG: It was a natural passion. Prince used to rehearse in my grandma’s basement.

DPG: Did you grow up in a rough neighborhood?

DMG: I grew up on the turf!

DPG: When did you first discover that you were good at writing rhymes?

DMG: I started rhyming at nine years old.

DPG: Who were the artists that you looked up to growing up?

DMG: First and foremost Scarface. Shot out to Scarface! There was NWA, Slick Rick, Brand Nubian, Grand Puba, Kool G Rap, and Busta Rhymes.

DPG: Did you release any other music prior to your debut album on Rap-A-Lot?

DMG: No, but I had songs. I was actually working with King-T from the Alcoholics. He helped me put my demo together. Shot out to King-T!

DPG: How did you link up with James Prince?

DMG: I was 15 years old. J. Prince and Scarface came out to Minnesota. I was at a show with my sister. The show was over and I was in the back of the club Glam Slam. I literally bumped into Scarface. He ended up giving me his number and he asked if I had a tape. I retrieved the tape and met back with Face. He actually told me if the tape was wack, he was going throw it out of the window and kick me out the room.

DPG: How did you end up on the Bring it On song?

DMG: Face and J asked me to get on it. However, it was a bad day. It was Jan 28th. This was they day Mad Ron died.

DPG: Your song You Don’t Hear Me Doe was on Scarface's album. It was unusual back them for an artist to have a song on their album that they didn’t appear on. Did he decide it was a good way to promote you?

DMG: Face and the Co made that decision.  The Song was already done and it was hot. It was a way to further promote me. I was the first artist signed to Face's label. I didn’t sign to Rap-A-Lot, but the album was distributed by Rap-A-Lot. I  signed to Face II Face records.

DPG: Why did you name your first album Rigormortiz? 

DMG: Bushwick Bill and I decided on that name.

DPG: As I told you in the past, your album is an instant classic. There’s just a lot of really good music on there. On the track Prelude to a Murdah, you had a beat very similar to that of the song Gangsters Paradise by Coolio. Did you use the Stevie Wonder Pastime Paradise sample for that track?

DMG: Yes. N.O. Joe produced it for me.

DPG: What made you chose that sample?

DMG: N.O. played me the track and I loved it.

DPG: Also, you had a rapper by the name of Cozy K from I believe the Bay Area on there? Why did you choose him and how did you get him on that track?

DMG: He is JR Ridah’s cousin and I met Cozy in Houston.

DPG: I thought he had a tight verse. . I don’t remember hearing him on any other albums. Do you know what happened to him?

DMG: No, I don't. Lets put out an APB for Cozy. Where are you? Ha!

DPG: Another song on your album was Rest in Peace featuring Big Mike. That song was about Mad Ron. 

DMG: Yeah, it's dedicated to Ron and homies; Ted Bobo, Dennis Bobo, Lilttle Furgeson-Abdul, Christoper Gayles.

DPG: Where did you get the inspiration for the posse cut Buck'em Down ft. Scarface, 2-Low, Big Mike, Mr. 3-2, and the 5th Ward Boyz?

DMG: The inspiration came from the one and only DOC. I grew up on him, He's an idol to me. The track is similar to his Grand Finale cut.

DPG: Are you happy with how the Rigormortiz album turned out?

DMG: I can do better. It was cool for a 15 year old. I had left High School. I dropped out in tenth grade. I did end up getting my GED.

DPG: There was a huge gap between that album and your Black Roulette album. Why didn’t you release another solo project in between?

DMG; The reason for that was because the Facemob albums came out.  Devin and I actually came into the group at the same time. Shot out to Devin the Dude!

DPG: You were also featured on the Geto Boys album The Good, The Bad, and the UglyWere you asked to fill the void while Bushwick Bill was gone?

DMG: That was the Geto Boys showing love towards my way. Big thanks to Face and Little J for that.

DPG: Getting back to the Black Roulette album, was this an album that you truly put out?

DMG: Yes, I fulfilled my contract. It was the company's decision.  wasn't against it. 

DPG: Do you feel that it lacked promotion?

DMG: Absolutely!

DPG: Did you end on good terms with the Rap-A-Lot label?

DMG: I have nothing ill to say. Shout out to Rap-A-Lot. They gave me my start.

DPG: I stumbled across your album Chek from 2007. How did that come about.

DMG: Yeah, that was with DeMario Walton. I tried something new. It’s a mixtape. 

DPG: Why was it only digitally released? 

DMG: I got lock up so there was no further promotion. Yukmouth, my blood  brother, helped make it possible through Roughish Music based out of Arizona. Also, 101 Distribution with Damon Evans.
Damario lived in Arizona, and I lived out there for a while as well. Shot out to Yuk!

DPG: You had C-Bo on the track Riding. How did you link up with him?

DMG: That was also through Yukmouth. Bo lived in Arizona. Shot out to C-Bo. Shot out to Spice-1! He's and inspiration!

DPG: You had two label mates that passed before their time. One was Seagram and the other was Big Mello. Did you know either of them personally?

DMG: I knew them very well. Big Mello was a live dude! He was way before his time. A Musical genius. He knew all the words to most songs. He used to beat box a lot.  Seagram was a raw Bay Area cat. It was an honor to work with both of them. 

DPG: What's your take on rap music these days?

DMG: It’s not the same music! It moves the way it wants to. Prepare for it to all come back!

DPG: How is the new Facemob album coming along?

DMG: It's in the works. It's moving a bit slower than anticipated. We took a song off the Facemob album titled Gangsta Rocks and put it out. Check that out! Eventually, I hope to pass the torch. But we’re coming out. We are the streets! And let me say this, Scarface is the The Hardest Ever and the Greatest of all Time (T.H.E.G.O.A.T).

DPG: Is there anything else you‘d like to say or promote?

DMG: St. Paul stand up! Facemob Stand up! The new album it coming out! Facemob music! I have a solo with Layzie Bone coming out. I also want to say that a lot of my positive energy comes from my wife. I'm an angry dude! She keeps me positive. Shot out to my wife! I’m a Facemob gangsta! 

DPG: Well, I’d like to say thank you for taking the time to speak with me. It’s been a pleasure to speak with you. I look forward to hearing your new albums.

DMG: For sure!

Follow DMG on Twitter @IAMTheREALDMG
Be on the lookout for the new FaceMob album!

Please leave comments on my blog or on Twitter @dpgmarine
Check out my other blog posts and subscribe if you'd like.

More Q & A sessions to come!
Thanks for reading!
dpgmarine

7 comments:

  1. If it is a great one adore all type of audio especially. Check this person out below - https://www.youtube.com/watch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you wondered what happened to Cozy K in this old interview. He put out 2 releases ("King Of Cali" and "View To A Kill") under the name "Coz" back in 1995 and 1996.

      Delete
  2. DMG 1of the best the world has never known, As a big rap-a-lot supporter always wondered why he was not promoted harder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuk is his brother?? And prince rehearsed in his gmas basement wow!! DMG is hard af!!! Rap Alot didnt put him out enough smh

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dareman call me 773 231 3693

    ReplyDelete