Saturday, November 30, 2013

South Central Cartel - South Central Madness



One of my all time favorite albums comes from the SCC. The album came out way back in 1992. The groups main members consist of Prodeje, Havikk the Rhymeson, Havoc the Mouthpiece, LV, Luva Gee, Gripp, and DJ Kaos. The thing I really like about this group is how well they all flow together. I enjoyed how they sampled artists such as NWA and Geto Boys throughout the album. Also, you can hear the Roger and Zapp influence as well. I used to listen heavily to all the songs starting with I Get My Roll On. That was my favorite side of the cassette that I own. Another great song that I liked was Hookaz. It sampled the the song Rumors by the Timex Social Club. I think they put a good spin on the song. LV, who most people will only know from the song Gangstas Paradise with Coolio, can really sing. He has a real soulful voice and was a perfect fit for the group.

The one song that I will play over and over is the title track South Central Madness. That song is great. It had a few artists feature on it such as the female rapper Boss and Mr. Wesside. It wouldn't be until much later that I would find out about a bonus song that was only on the cd version. That song is titled Livin like Gangstas and it just one more hit for the album. I think back in the 90s, record labels would add bonus songs to the cd version as an incentive to get you to buy it. Unfortunately for me, I only had money for cassettes which ran about $10 each and not to mention the fact that I didn't even have a cd player at the time.

South Central Cartel is one of my favorite groups here on the West Coast and of all time. They would go onto put out more dope music and I hope to speak about more of it at some point.

You can follow Prodeje on Twitter @mrhoodgood
You can follow Havikk on Twitter @ BigHavikk

dpgmarine

No comments:

Post a Comment